Tuesday, June 5, 2007

9 eggs, 5 chocolate bars, and 1 dented pan

About a month ago my friend Jodie Faster said she needed to ask me a favor. I immediately responded, “What flavor”. I’ve finally come to the realization that in many circles I run in the word favor and cake are synonymous. I graciously agreed to make “the birthday cake” for the bbq she and her wife were hosting. Now to put things in perspective I think it is important to note that Faster’s wife was at one time a pastry chef and the thought of baking a cake for her party was terrifying. An honor, but terrifying.

I spent the next several weeks debating on what type of cake to make. Chocolate? Strawberry with cream cheese frosting? Lemon with buttercream frosting? When the final word of what the birthday girl’s favorite flavor was relayed to me, I knew I had just the thing.

Any of you who know me realize that I am the reigning queen of over commitment and poor planning. So of course I am baking this cake after skating 6 miles in the aids walk, and forty minutes before my friend came to pick me up. Unshowered. Of course.

I started with 9 eggs and separated them into two bowls. Then I melted a stick of butter and five 70% chocolate bars in a double boiler. I beat 2/3 cup of sugar into the egg yolks and poured the shiny chocolate buttery-ness into the mix. I beat the egg whites into submission with my kitchen aid until they were firm and well behaved. This is when things start to get confusing. I was supposed to combine the egg yolk, sugar, butter, chocolate mix with the egg whites. Chocolate is heavy. Egg whites are fluffy. I’m confused. So mixed it as best I could, stuck it in the oven and took a shower.

When I took it out of the oven it looked a little questionable. Wobbly at best and still steaming hot. Shattered showed up to pick me up, I wrapped the cake in a towel and headed to the bbq.

I arrived at the bbq, popped the cake out of my dented spring form pan and placed it on the table where it remained untouched for the whole time I was there. I gave it a glance now and then to see if the “2” and “5” candles had completely sunken into the chocolate quicksand that was my cake. I left the party worried it tasted like egg whites, NOT what I want my cakes to taste like.

Never fear, I will live to bake another day. The reviews came back saying that although it was slightly undercooked, it still tasted good. Phew. Another baking challenge complete.

This coming weekend I am invited to another birthday BBQ for which the evite named someone else as “baker extraordinaire”. Yeah, we’ll see about that. Also on my plate, what to bake for someone who doesn’t like sweets? Cheve pie that’s what!

2 comments:

collidah said...

i really admire how you explain that you are unshowered as you bake the cake. the extra ingredient wasn't love after all!

....and kitchen aid mixers rule. wouldn't bake anything without it!

Ruby Khan said...

I sampled this cake while it was still hiding in the corner by grabbing a chunk from the bottom and then carefully setting the cake back down on the plate. I think Deck saw this happen, which means it was ok.

Long story short, the cake was gooood.

Also, have you seen cupcakeblog.com? It's my secret cupcake recipe weapon.

Also also, have you done reconnaissance on that Kick*ss Cupcakes place on Highland where Magpie used to be? Please report back if so!