Monday, August 13, 2007

conquering the cape!



My family was a north shore family. My Nana would rent a summer house in Gloucester and sun herself all summer long as my grandfather would commute in and out of Boston for work. When my mom was old enough, she too rented a house up that way. I grew up driving up to Long Beach from my hometown in Connecticut and staying overnight in the big red Cape Ann Motor Inn on the edge of the beach. My sister and I ate cereal out of mini boxes with plastic spoons and of course Nana's infamous blueberry cake. Blueberry cake is as much a part of going to the beach as hunting for snails or sand in my sheets.

Jenn, my roommate, invited me to join her family down the cape for a few days and although I have never actually had fun at the cape (once we couldn't find a beach.. pathetic i know, but we are North Shore folk) I jumped at the chance to see what all the fuss was about and have a family vacation experience!





As a thank you, and because a trip to the beach wouldn't be right without it, I baked my Nana's cake. The recipe can be found here if you scroll down a bit.



I am happy to announce that it was much easier then I remember, and just as tasty! As for the cape? The Ruoccos showed me a fantastic time! We headed up to Ptown on Friday since it was raining and had a beautiful beach day on Saturday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maims, I am glad you had fun on the Cape with my family. They may have been a little shocked by your bruises, but who isn't. I really wished you had arm wrestled them, though. Instead, I get to remain female arm wrestling champion of the Fam (which we know is a laughing matter).

To all of the Baking Glory readers-- I can attest to the fact the blueberry cake was quite delish. Even my carb-fearing mother had several pieces, which you know means success in baking!

collidah said...

woman needs to update her blog!